INFLUENCE OF HUMIDITY LODGE SEED FOR GERMINATION OF MILLET ROD-SHAPED (PANICUM VIRGATUM L.) ON ITS SIMILARITY
To establish features of influence of modes of moistening of a bed during germination of seeds of different grades of millet rod-shaped on decrease in a condition of its rest and, accordingly, increase of germination. Laboratory, visual, measuring and weighing, mathematical and statistical. It was found that the best germinated seeds of millet rod-shaped in terms of humidity of the bed for its germination, which was created by the amount of water from 25 to 30 ml on one plant – on the average on four grades on the 10-th day (germination energy) 25 % of sprouts are received, and on the 15-th day (germination) –26 %. At the humidity of the bed, which was created by the amount of water 15 (not enough moisture) or more than 35 ml/plant (excessive moisture), both germination energy and germination were significantly lower compared to the germination of seeds on the bed, which created the amount of water from 25 to 30 ml/plant. When moistening the bed with the addition of water less than 20 and more than 30 ml per germination, the number of germinated seeds decreased compared to germination on the bed, where 30 ml of water was added, and significantly increased compared to germination on the bed, where water was added 15 and 35 ml/germination. Regularities of seed germination intensity of varieties of different origin and maturity groups depending on the degree of moisture were similar. The highest quality indicators of all varieties were for moistening the bed with water in the amount of 25 and 30 ml/plant. The decrease or increase of water led to a decrease in the intensity of seed germination. The medium-ripe variety ‘Morozko’ of the Ukrainian selection reacted best to the increase in the degree of moisture, and the number of germinated seeds was the largest in all accounting dates. The lowest seed quality indicators for all humidification modes were obtained immature variety Alamo: on the 15-th day the amount of germinated seeds when moistened with 15 and 20 ml of water per germination was lower by 4 %, with humidification modes 30 and 35 ml/germination, respectively – by 7 and 11 %, compared to the variety 'Morozko' (LSD0.05 grade = 1.0 %). It was found that the need for water for the germination of rod millet seeds is 33.3–40.0 % of water by weight. Both insufficient and excessive moistening of the bed during the germination of rod millet seeds and its varietal characteristics significantly affected the intensity of seed germination, but was not decisive for a significant reduction in its dormancy and increase in the number of germinated seeds.
Euphytica. Academic Publishers. Printed, 126(1), 13–20. doi: 10.1023/A1019623706427
2. Bewley, J. D., & Black, M. (1994). Seeds: Physiology of Development and Germination. Berlin: Springer doi: 10.1007/978-
3. Doronin, A. V. (2013). Formuvannia konkurentospromozhnosti alternatyvnykh vydiv palnoho v konteksti stratehii rozvytku
APK Ukrainy [Formation of alternative fuels competitiveness in the context of the development strategy of agro-industrial complex of
Ukraine]. Zb. nauk. prats IBKiTsB, Kyiv, 19, 181−187 (in Ukrainian).
4. Doronin, V. A., Kravchenko, Yu. A., Busol, M. V., Doronin, V. V., Mandrovska, S. M., & Honcharuk, H. S. (2015).
Vyznachennia skhozhosti nasinnia prosa prutopodibnoho (svichhrasu) Panicum virgatum L. (Metodychni rekomendatsii)
[Determination of millet seeds (candlegrass) Panicum virgatum L. germination (Methodical recommendations)]. IBKITsB NAAN, Kyiv,
10 (in Ukrainian).
5. Doronin, V., Polishchuk, V., Dryga, V., Kravchenko, Ju., Sinchenko, V., Zinchenko, O., Karpuk, L., Mykolaiko, V. (2021).
Technology of Preparation of Seeds of Rod-Shaped Millet (Panicumv Virgatum L.). Annals of the Romanian Society for Cell Biology.
Association of Cell Biology Romania. Wageningen University & Research. Romania, 25(4), 10656–10664. Access mode: http://annalsofrscb.
6. Duclos, D. V., Ray, D. T. Ray, Johnson, D. J., & Taylor, A. G. (2013). Investigating seed dormancy in switchgrass (Panicum
virgatum L.): understanding the physiology and mechanisms of coatimposed seed dormancy. Industrial Crops and Products, 45,
7. Dumych, V. V., Zhurba, H. I., & Kurylo, V. L. (2013). Tekhniko-tekhnolohichni zakhody dlia zakladannia enerhoplantatsii
svichhrasu v umovakh Polissia Ukrainy [Technical and technological measures for laying energy plantations of candlegrass in the
conditions of Polissya of Ukraine]. Zb. nauk. prats IBKiTsB, Kyiv, 19, 37−42 (in Ukrainian).
8. Dryha, V. V. (2020). Biolohichnyi stan spokoiu nasinnia prosa prutopodibnoho (Panicum virgatum l.) ta sposoby yoho znyzhennia [Biological dormancy of millet seeds (Panicum virgatum L.) and ways of its reduce]. Zb. nauk. prats Umanskoho natsionalnoho universytetu sadivnytstva, 96(1). Silskohospodarski ta tekhnichni nauky, 193–205. (in Ukrainian). 9. Finch-Savage, W. E. & Leubner-Metzger, G. (2006). Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist, 171(3), 501−523.
10. Fisher, R. A. (2006). Statistical methods for research workers. Cosmo Publications, New Delhi, 354.
11. Graeber, K., Nakabayashi, K., Miatton, E., Leubner-Metzger, G. & Soppe, W. (2012). Molecular mechanisms of seed dormancy. Plant Cell Environ., 35(10), 1769–1786. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3040.2012.02542.x
12. Heletukha, H. H., & Zheliezna, T. A. (2017). Stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku bioenerhetyky v Ukrainy. Promyslova teplotekhnika [Status and prospects of bioenergy development in Ukraine]. Industrial heat engineering, 39(2), 60–64 (in Ukrainian).
13. Vogel, K. P., Brejda, J. J., Walters, D. T. & Buxton, D. R. (2002). Switchgrass biomass production in the Midwest USA: Harvest and nitrogen management. Agron. J., 413–420.
14. Kulaeva, O. N. (1995). Kak rehulyruetsia zhyzn rastenyi [How plant life is regulated]. Obrazovatelnыi zhurnal, 1, 20−27. (in Russian).
15. Kulyk, M. I., & Rozhko, I. I. (2018). Urozhaini vlastyvosti ta posivni yakosti nasinnia prosa prutopodibnoho zalezhno vid umov vyroshchuvannia [Yield properties and sowing qualities of millet seeds, depending on growing conditions.]. Visnyk Poltavskoi derzhavnoi ahrarnoi akademii, 2, 78−84. doi: 10.31210/visnyk2018.02.12. (in Ukrainian).
16. Kulyk, M. I., Rozhko, I. I., Syplyva, N. O., & Bozhok, Yu. O. (2019). Ahrobiolohichni osoblyvosti formuvannia vrozhainosti ta yakosti nasinnia prosa prutopodibnoho [Agrobiological features of yield formation and quality of millet seeds]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria, 4, 51−60. doi: 10.31521/2313-092X/2019-4(104) (in Ukrainian). 17. Lewandowskia, I., Jonathan, M. O., Scurlock, Ella Lindvall, Myrsini Christoud (2003). The development and current status of perennial rhizomatous grasses as energy crops in the US and Europe. Biomass and Bioenergy, 25, 335–361.
18. Liu, A., Gao, F., Kanno, Y., Jordan, M., Kamiya, Y., Seo, M. & Ayele, B. (2013). Regulation of wheat seed dormancy by after-ripening is mediated by specific transcriptional switches that induce changes in seed hormone metabolism and signaling. PloS One, 8, e56570. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0056570
19. Nykolaeva, M. H., Lianhuzova, Y. V., & Pozdova, L. M. (1999). Byolohyia semian [Seed biology]. NYY khymyy SPbHU, SPb, 232 (in Russian).
20. Parrish, D. J., Fike, D. I., Bransby, J. H. & Samson, R. (2008). Establishing and managing switchgrass as an energy crop. Forage and Grazinglands, 68–82.
21. Roik, M. V., Kurylo, V. L., & Humentyk, M. Ya. (2010). Enerhetychni kultury dlia vyrobnytstva biopalyva [Energy crops for biofuel production]. Naukovi pratsi Poltavskoi derzhavnoi ahrarnoi akademii, 7(26): «Enerhozberezhennia ta alternatyvni dzherela enerhii: problemy i shliakhy yikh vyrishennia». RVV PDAA, Poltava, 12–17 (in Ukrainian).
22. Sanderson, M. A., Reed, R. L., McLaughlin, S. B. & Wullschleger, B. V (1994). Switchgrass as a sustainable bioenergy crop. Bioresource Technology, 56, 83–93.
23. Sarath, G., & Mitchell, R. B. (2008). Aged switchgrass seed lot’s response to dormancybreaking chemicals. J. Seed Tech-nol, 30, 7–16. Access mode: http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/bitstream/10113/26968/1/IND44152430.pdf (accessed 15 May 2010). 24. Secter, B. (2008). Plentiful switchgrass emerges as breakthrough biofuel. The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved, 2008, 5−24.
25. Shcherbakova, T. O., & Rakhmetov, D. B. (2017). Osoblyvosti budovy pahoniv prosa prutopodibnoho (Panicum virgatum L.) v umovakh introduktsii v Pravoberezhnomu Lisostepu ta Polissi Ukrainy [Peculiarities of the structure of millet shoots (Panicumv virgatum L.) in the conditions of introduction in the Right-bank Forest-steppe and Polissya of Ukraine]. Plant Varieties Studying and protection, 13(1), 85−88. (in Ukrainian).
26. Shu, K., Liu, X., Xie, Q. & He, Z. (2016). Two Faces of One Seed: Hormonal Regulation of Dormancy and Germination. Mol. Plant., 69, 34–45. doi: 10.1016/j.molp.2015.08.010
27. Yunwen Wang, Jianguo Han, Manli Li, Jiefeng Sun, & Yong He (2010). Different seed dormancy levels imposed by tissues covering the Capyopsis in zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica Steud). Seed Science and Technology, 38(2), 320−331.