Determination of quality of poultry meat in case of damage to ectoparasites
Introduction. Obtaining high-quality and safe poultry products is impossible without an integrated approach and competent solution of biosafety issues in farms. In conditions of poultry rearing using intensive technologies, the problem of ectoparasitic poultry damage, in particular the chicken tick Dermanyssus gallinae, is quite acute. The defeat of the bird by temporary and permanent ectoparasites is the reason for the deterioration of the quality characteristics of poultry carcasses.
The goal of the work. The purpose of our research was to determination of the quality of poultry meat when affected by ectoparasites.
Materials and methods of research. These studies were conducted under the conditions of the Department of Veterinary Expertise, Microbiology, Zohygiene and Safety and Quality of Livestock Products of Sumy National Agrarian University. For the study, carcasses of poultry of slaughter conditions were selected from a farm unsuccessful for the red chicken tick Dermanyssus gallinae.
Results of research and discussion. In the course of the studies, it was proved that the slaughter yield of meat in chickens that were infected with ectoparasites was less compared to the slaughter yield of poultry meat obtained from farms or poultry houses that are relatively ectoparasite. In the meat of sick poultry, the moisture content increased by 2-3% and protein by 1-2%, while at the same time reducing the amount of fat by an average of 4%. As a result of studies, it was found that the changes found in meat indicated the development of pathological processes in meat, which led to the intensification of spoilage processes. Studies of carcasses obtained from healthy poultry found that they retained freshness for 9 days, and carcasses received from sick poultry, already for 5 days did not match the freshness of meat.
Conclusions and prospects for further research. Based on a set of studies, we found that the qualitative indicators of meat of healthy and sick poultry differed. Intravital damage to poultry by ectoparasites caused changes in the chemical composition of meat, a decrease in its calorie content and biological value.
In the future, it is planned to determine the qualitative characteristics of poultry carcasses in the associated course of nematodes and aсarosis.
2. Soiuz ptakhivnykiv Ukrainy. Elektronnyi resurs [Poultry Union of Ukraine. Electronic resource] (2019). Rezhym dostupu: http://www.poultryukraine.com/ru/poultry/news/2019/11/news_7419.html [in Ukrainian].
3. Hernandes Zh. M., Birdsvort P., Veber G. (2009). Kachestvo yaytsa: udovletvorenie potrebitelskogo sprosa. [Egg quality: satisfying consumer demand]. Efektivne ptahIvnitstvo [Effective poultry farming], 9, 13–17 [іn Russian].
4. Guschin V. V., Rusanova G. E. Riza-Zade N. I. (2012). Bezopasnost produktov pitaniya - odna iz osnovnyih problem ptitsepromyishlennosti. [Food safety is one of the main problems of the poultry industry]. Ptitsa i ptitseproduktyi [Poultry and poultry products], 1, 53–56 [іn Russian].
5. Nahorna L. V., Berezovskyi A. V. (2016). Ektoparazyty yak chynnyky pohirshennia biobezpeky v umovakh ptakhivnychykh pidpryiemstv. [Ectoparasites as factors of deterioration of biosecurity in poultry enterprises]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria [Bulletin of Agrarian Science of the Black Sea], 2 (90), 2, 148–151 [in Ukrainian].
6. Voroniak V. V. (2010). Deiaki aspekty pidvyshchennia yakosti ta bezpeky produktiv kharchuvannia. [Some aspects of improving the quality and safety of food]. Lviv Naukovyi visnyk Lvivskoho natsionalnoho un-tu vet. medytsyny ta biotekhnolohii imeni S.Z. Gzhytskoho [Scientific Bulletin of the Lviv National Univ. S.Z. Medicine and Biotechnology Hedgehog], 12, 4 (46), 36–40 [in Ukrainian].
7. Nahorna L. V. (2014). Sytuatsiia shchodo ektoparazytoziv sviiskoi ptytsi u hospodarstvakh lisostepovoi zony Ukrainy. [Situation on poultry ectoparasites in the forest-steppe zone of Ukraine]. Mizhvidomchyi tematychnyi naukovyi zbirnyk «Veterynarna medytsyna» NMTs «IEKVM» [Interagency thematic scientific collection «Veterinary medicine» of IECVM], 99, 147–150 [in Ukrainian].
8. Zenner L. et al. (2009). Monitoring of Dermanyssus gallinae in free-range poultry farms. Exp. Appl. Acarol., 48(1–2), 157–166 [in English].
9. Durden L. A., Linthicum K. J., Monath T. P. (1993). Laboratory transmission of eastern equine encephalomyelitis virus to chickens by chicken mites. Journal of Medical Entomology, 30(1), 281–285 [in English].
10. Galyautdinova G. G., Abulhanova M. Ya., Tremasov G. M. [i dr.] (2005). Toksikologicheskie aspektyi ispolzovaniya sin-teticheskih piretroidov v selskom hozyaystve [Toxicological aspects of the use of synthetic pyrethroids in agriculture]. Veterinariya [Veterinary science], 3, 52–56 [іn Russian].
11. Sams A. R. (1999). Meat quality during processing. Department of Poultry Science, Texas A&M University System, 78(5), 798–803. doi:10.1093/ps/78.5.798 [in English].
12. Nahorna L. V. (2011). Vstanovlennia bezpechnosti produktsii ptakhivnytstva pislia obrobky okremymy protyparazytarnymy zasobamy. [Establishing the safety of poultry products after treatment with separate antiparasitic agents]. Visnyk Sumskoho NAU, Seriia «Veterynarna medytsyna» [Bulletin of Sumy NAU, Series "Veterinary Medicine"], 2(29), 139–143 [in Ukrainian].
13. Nahorna L. V. (2014). Otsinka yakosti produktiv zaboiu ptytsi za dermanisiozu [Assessment of the quality of poultry products for dermis]. Zbirnyk nauk. prats Kharkivskoi DZVA «Problemy zooinzhenerii ta veterynarnoi medytsyny». Kharkiv, RVV KhDZVA, «Veterynarni nauky». [Collection of Sciences. works of Kharkiv State Institute of Animal Sciences «Problems of Zoo Engineering and Veterinary Medicine», «Veterinary Sciences»], 28 (2), 89–93 [in Ukrainian].
14. Wambier C. G. (2012). Gamasoidosis illustrated from the nest to dermoscopy / C. G. Wambier, S. P. Wambier //An. Bras. Dermatol. 87 (6), 926–937 [in English].
15. Sokół R., Rotkiewicz T. (2010). Histopathological changes of the skin in hens infested with Dermanyssus gallinae. Pol. J. Vet. Sci. 13 (2), 385–387 [in English].
16. Golovko A. N., Ushkalov V. A., Skryipnik V. G. [i dr.] (2007). Mikrobiologicheskie i virusologicheskie metodyi issledovaniy v veterinarnoy meditsine. [Microbiological and virological research methods in veterinary medicine]. Harkov, «NTMT». [Kharkov, NTMT], 512. (іn Russian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.