Influence of genetic and paratype factors on sperm efficiency of bulls
We have researched influence of gene- and paratype factors on efficiency of sperm of black- and red-and-white Holstein bulls of LLC “Ukrainian Genetic Company” in Zhytomyr region. Sperm-providers were brought from Germany and the Netherlands and were kept in equal conditions of feeding, stock-keeping and use. Qualitative and quantitative characteristics of sperm were determined with semen analyzer IVOS (system CASA). Native sperm was evaluated in accordance with DSTU 3535-97. Single-factor analysis of variance was applied to estimate the impact of influence factors on characteristics of bulls’ sperm efficiency. Experimental bulls in conditions of LLC “Ukrainian Genetic Company” in general are characterized by the high reproductive potential. In the course of a year, they have produced in average 106,4 high-quality ejaculates, 542,0 ml of high-quality native sperm and 28361 sperm doses. Annual rate of sperm efficiency appeared to be considerably variable (Cv=9,2-60,8 %), which evidences significant individual characteristics of inseminators. Quantity of high-quality ejaculates obtained varies from 32 to 173, native sperm – 201-1016 ml, sperm doses obtained – 5755-61920. Volume of ejaculate is 3,77-7,30 ml, concentration of male germ cells in ejaculate – 1,51-3,52 bln/ml, their mobility – 7,2-8,3 points. Results of the research prove significant influence of genetic factors on formation of sperm efficiency of Holstein sires. Quantity and quality of ejaculates and yield of sperm doses more than 40% dependent on bull’s genotype and its adaptive capacity. Lineal belonging of inseminator extensively influences volume of ejaculate (19,3%) and concentration of sperm (30,6 %). Each line apparently differs by most of investigated parameters of sperm efficiency and has its peculiar characteristics. Influence of colour and ecological-genetic origin of a bull on quantitative and qualitative characteristics of sperm is minor (0,2-2,5 %). We have noted seasonal dynamics of efficiency of sperm of Holstein bulls. Peak of their sexual activity is in spring – 31,6 high-quality ejaculates (Р˂0,05) and 158,0 ml of native sperm (Р>0,05) from one bull. The highest yield of sperm doses is observed in winter-spring season – 7851-8069 pcs., the lowest – in summer-autumn – 6149-6293 pcs. Ejaculates bigger in volume were recorded in summer and spring – 5,23-5,28 ml, smaller – in winter and spring – 4,90-5,00 (Р˂0,001). Motility of spermatozoa in ejaculates is higher in cold season (autumn-winter) – 7,9-8,0 points, lower – in warm (spring-summer) – 7,4-7,7 points (Р˂0,001). Influence of season on reproductive function of bulls is 0,8-9,3%.
2. Basovskyi, N. Z., Rudyk, I. A. and Burkat, V. P., 1992. Vyroshchuvannia, otsinka i vykorystannia plidnykiv [Raising, evaluation and using of sires]. K.: Urozhaj.
3. Boiko, O. V. and Koropets, L. A., 2016. Spermoproduktyvnist i fiziolohichni ta morfolohichni parametry spermy holshtynskykh buhaiv [Sperm productivity and physiological and morphological parameters of Holstein bulls sperm]. Naukovyi zhurnal «Tvarynnytstvo ta tekhnolohii kharchovykh produktiv», no. 236, pp. 116-120.
4. Abilov, A. I., Kombarova, N. A., Pyzhova, E. A. and Korneyenko-Zhilyaev, Yu. A., 2016. Vlianie perepadov atmosfernogo davleniya na harakteristiki semeni bykov-proizvoditelej [Effect of atmospheric pressure gradients on semen parameters in bull sires]. Zootekhniya, no. 8, pp. 29-32.
5. Ernst, L. K. and Zhyhachev, A. Y., 2006. Monitoring geneticheskih bolezney zhivotnykh v sisteme krupnomasshtabnoy selektsii [Monitoring animal genetic diseases in the system of largescale selection]. Moscow.
6. Zenkov, P. M. and Topuriya, L. Yu., 2014. Vliyanie genotipa na pokazateli spermoprodukcii bykov-proizvoditelej [Influence of genotype on indicators of sperm production of breeding bulls]. Izvestiya OGAU, no. 3, pp. 103-105.
7. Kawa, S, Dmitriv, O, Ostapiv, D and Yaremchuk, I., 2011. Indyvidualni osoblyvosti yakosti eiakuliativ buhaiv [Individual and breed features of ejaculate quality of bulls]. Naukovyi visnyk LNUVMBT im. Gzhytskoho, vol. 13, no. 4 (50), part 2, pp. 76-79.
8. Koropets, L. A. and Svidro, I. H., 2013. Spermoproduktyvnist buhaiv-plidnykiv holshtynskoi porody riznoi masti [Sperm productivity of Holstein bulls of different suit]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats «Tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva i pererobky productsii tvarynnytstva», issue 21, pp. 139-141.
9. Kuzebnyi, S. V., 2008. Influence of genetic and paratypic factors on reproductive capacity of breeding bulls. Abstract of PhD dissertation. Chubynske, Kyiv region.
10. Plokhynskyi, N. A., 1970. Byometryia [Biometrics]. Yzd-vo MHU, Moskow.
11. Pryshedko, V. M., 2010. Spermoproduktyvnist i yakist spermy buhaiv-plidnykiv riznoho rivnia stresostiikosti [Sperm productivity and semen quality of bulls with different levels of stress resistance]. Visnyk Ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria, no. 1, pp. 113-119.
12. Siratskyi, Y. Z., Fedorovych, Ye. I. and Fedorovych, V. V., 2005. Vidtvorna zdatnist buhaiv riznykh linii zakhidnoho vnutrishnoporodnoho typu ukrainskoi chorno-riaboi molochnoi porody [Reproductive capacity of bulls of different lines of the western introbreed type of the Ukrainian black-and-white dairy breed]. Rozvedennya i henetyka tvaryn, issue 38, pp. 189-192.
13. Siratskyi, Y. Z., Fedorovych, Ye. I., Fedorovych, V. V., Kadysh V. O. and Piddubna L. M., 2008. Fizioloho-biokhimichni ta biotekhnolohichni pocaznyky spermy buhaiv-plidnykiv [Physiological, biochemical and biotechnological parameters of sperm of breeding bulls]. Kyiv: Liuksar.
14. Khmel'nychchyi, L. M., Yerosh, Yu. O. and Biba, A. A. Vplyv henetypovykh ta paratypovykh chynnykiv na yakist spermoproduktsii buhaiv-plidnykiv [Influence of genotypic and paratypic factors on quality of breeding bulls sperm production]. Visnyk SNAU, no. 7(18), pp. 29-32.
15. Boujenane I. and Boussaq K., 2013. Environmental effects and repeatability estimates for sperm production and semen quality of Holstein bulls. Archiv. Tierzucht. 56:1–6. DOI: doi:10.7482/0003-9438-56-096
16. Flowers W.L. 2013. Sperm characteristics that limit success of fertilization. J. Anim. V. 91. рр. 73022—3029.
17. Heinrich Bollwein, Fredi Janett and Martin Kaske. 2017. Effects of nutrition on sexual development of bulls. Anim. Reprod., v.14, n.3, p.607-613. DOI: hptt://doi.org/10.21451/1984-3143-AR1004
18. Igna V., Moje A., Mircu C., Roman M., Ghiurca C., Casalean D., Cernescu H. 2010. The influence of some environmental factors and age on semen production of Fleckvieh bulls. Lucrări Ştiinłifice Medicină Veterinară. XLIII(2):56-63.
19. Karoui S., Diaz C., Serrano M., Cue R., Celorrio I. and Carabano M.J., 2011. Time trends, environmental factors and genetic basis of semen traits collected in Holstein bulls under commercial conditions. Anim Reprod Sci. 124:28–38
20. Mathevon, M., Buhr, M.M. and Dekkers, J.C.M., 1998. Environmental, management, and genetic factors affecting semen production in Holstein bulls. J. Dairy Sci. 81, 3321–3330. DOI: hptt://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75898-9
21. M.G.M. Chacur, K.T. Mizusaki, L.R.A. Gabriel Filho, et al. 2013. Seasonal Effects on Semen and Testosterone in Zebu and Taurine Bulls. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 41: 1110.
22. Murphy, E. M., Kelly, A. K., O'Meara C., Eivers B., Lonergan P. and Fair S. 2018. Influence of bull age, ejaculate number, and season of collection on semen production and sperm motility parameters in Holstein Friesian bulls in a commercial artificial insemination centre. J Anim Sci. Jun 4;96(6):2408-2418. DOI: hptt://doi.org/10.1093/jas/sky130.
23. Mussabekov, A.T., Borovikov, S.N., Suranshiyev, Zh.A. and Shamshidin, A.S. 2016. Comparative Analysis of Holstein, Black-Motley, Angler, Simmental Bulls Semen. J Aquac Res Development, 7: 395. DOI: hptt://doi.org/10.4172/2155-9546.1000395
24. Snoj, T., Kobal, S. and Majdic, G., 2013. Effects of season, age, and breed on semen characteristics in different bos taurus breeds in a 31-year retrospective study. Theriogenology. 79:847–852. DOI: hptt://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2012.12.014